massimomarino750546

Author Massimo Marino

You Need a Scientist to Envision Science Fiction

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King I enjoyed On Writing for multiple reasons.

Stephen King covers various aspects of being a writer, the mechanics, what to expect, what could word—and works for him—and he is not keeping secrets. I felt very much like having been allowed in his room and chat with him. The style he chose is that of an informal discussion with his reader.

A lot of what he says resonated with me, and with my experience as a writer of my novel, Daimones. I liked a lot some of his closing remarks about writing: "Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay?"

In an interview appeared on the blog Lauries' thoughts—http://lauriethoughts-reviews.blogspot.fr/2012/08/daimones-by-massimo-marino-interview.html—I said, "People talk about the "page turner" to describe a good story, something were conflict appear at every page, almost. There's truth in there but it is not the end of it. I think a good story has to make you feel you are part of it, you turn the pages because you care and want to be reassured that something bad is not going to happen (or it is if you hate the character). A good story should make you laugh, cry, feel sadness and happiness, move you to tears, and losing track of time. It will not happen with every reader or at the same places in the story, but if it happens here and there, to some, even one, then the story has reached its goal to please a reader, allow him to escape and live in the same lucid-dream the writer used to create a different world." You will never do with everyone, and never in the same places for different people. You will do sometimes, for some people, and when that happens, it should make you happy.

"On Writing", again using Stephen King's words, is "a permission slip: you can, you should, and if you're brave enough to start, you will. Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink."

Be brave enough, you can.